An Account of James Monroe's Land Holdings
© Copyright and All Rights Reserved
By Christopher Fennell
IV. Limestone Farm, Albemarle County
Monroe purchased neighboring parcels of land, including a property known as Limestone Farm, and 175 acres and 146 acres from each of Richard and Thomas Sharp, in September, 1816. This property was located along the Limestone Branch, which feeds into the Rivanna River. The Rivanna provided an important transportation source for goods and materials being shipped to and from Richmond and the Chesapeake during Monroe's day. The small town of Milton, just to the north-west of Limestone, was once a transport hub along the Rivanna.
Robert Sharp, a relative of Richard and Thomas, had acquired this tract as part of an 800-acre holding, on which he built a house in 1794 that would later be used by Monroe as a law office. The date of this construction is based on a carpenter's mark and date carved into a beam in the basement of that building. This building is on a small bluff in the vale created by the Limestone Creek, and is currently used as an out-building to the main house of the Limestone Plantation (Harris and Tiller 1977).
Monroe's younger brother Joseph Jones Monroe briefly lived at Limestone during the decade following 1810. His brother Andrew, and Andrew's wife Frances, apparently lived at Limestone in the later years of that decade (Deed Book 21, pages 143-44; Deed Book 23, pages 239-41).
Monroe sold the property in 1826, in the same year he sold his interests in the Highland. By the time he sold the property including Limestone Farm, he had increased the size of his holding there to include 705 acres.
click on the desired subject below:
Return to Introduction
Ash Lawn-Highland Museum Web Page
Last Modified: September 2, 2012