St. Peter's Church, Harpers Ferry,
and Bridge Ruins, 1861.
The photograph below, taken from across the Potomac River, shows Harpers Ferry and the ruins of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad bridge, which was destroyed by Confederate forces in June, 1861, and would be destroyed and rebuilt nine times during the War (Hearn 1996: 288). The front (east) facade of St. Peter's Church appears on the upper left, with its three, prominent, arched windows. The Armory buildings stand along the Potomac in the upper right portion of this photo. This and other Civil War photographs are available in the Library of Congress' American Memory Collections.
Another panoramic photograph, taken in 1862, shows remarkably clear details of the Church and surrounding town.